12 August 2016

Simon Olsson's Indian Inspired Style

When I first introduced you to the work of my Painter in Residence, Simon Olsson, I was thrilled by the positive response of my readers. There is something so pleasing about his painting technique, and in particular the texture he creates. Simon has really mastered the art of turning a standard piece of furniture it in to something incredibly beautiful, using my paint, Chalk Paint®.

What I love about Simon's style is its affinity with a bohemian, Indian style. The two pieces I'm sharing in this blog are hugely influenced by Indian style and colour, be it intricate carving of the table or the distressed patina of the cabinet.





The unusual shape and indentations caused by the many doors of this antique Indian cabinet lends itself so well to a textured, painterly and layered finish.  Simon used Graphite, Provence, Old White and Louis Blue from my Colour Palette to create layers of paint, which he distressed heavily, to create a rustic, chippy look.

Simon began by painting the cabinet in Chalk Paint® in Old White, applying the paint quite thickly. He then added a coat of Graphite, before finally covering it in a custom mix of Provence, Old White and Louis Blue. Once dry, Simon sanded the piece heavily to reveal the different colours underneath. And then, to protect all that lovely paintwork, Simon finished the whole piece with a couple of layers of Clear Chalk Paint® Wax. I love the turquoise colour he has created here. Doesn't it look fabulous against the monochrome of the Graphite and Old White?



Ornate and intricate wood carving is an ancient art practice across India, and this stunning table is a prime example. It lends itself well to being painted as there's so much gorgeous detail to highlight! I love Simon's colour choice for this piece - my pale pink Antoinette. It adds a modern touch to the piece, and the sensitive yet bold way that he applied the paint makes the most of the detailing. 

Have you been influenced by Simon's work or Indian style? Show me your work by tagging me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, and use #anniesloan, I would love to see your pieces!


Yours, Annie 

5 comments:

  1. Beyond beautiful, I love Annie Sloan paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look. Any work with ship lap for walls. Want new wood but want to make it look old. White. For master bath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excelente aporte para el alma,no me canso de contemplar está obra de arte,que me hace viajar a los bellos lugares del Mediterráneo. Gracias

    ReplyDelete